Monday, August 07, 2006

One good senseless post

After three weeks of busting my ass off at work, I just feel like ranting....

In anything creative, it’s trial and error. People who don’t work in the creative end think that it’s all a whole lot more planned out than it is. But really it’s informed experiment – experimenting, but with a lot of experience. The theory being that you know that a lot of things won’t work out, but you try to narrow your experiments down so that you work in a reasonably narrow band where things have a good shot at succeeding.

Around me, it is understood that if you work with people who are artists and writers, you might be able to enhance, but you can’t change what’s fundamentally there. It’s ridiculous to try and impose whatever you’re getting that’s interesting from them. It’s our own formula, so don’t mess with it. You can’t do a top down accountant’s job on your writer’s method, or insist that while she’s still in the office, her nose is attached permanently to the word processor. If your writer has only four hours’ worth of creative energy in the tank, that’s all you’re going to get, no point in trying to get more.

Okay, so I have a short attention span, but people who live off their wits create themselves as they go along. “Creative” can be shorthand for “I couldn’t be bothered to do this and wanted to watch TV.” Often people who are too lazy to use their intelligence are creative. Often people who don’t have a work ethic are creative. But they work within that. A short attention span can be interpreted as not being clever, but sometimes it’s absolutely the opposite. The girl in class who can’t sit still is often the one who’s so clever she’s thinking, “I can’t sit in here all day, I’ve got to get up and do something.” In my case, it’s the magpie mind flitting from thing to thing.

Y'see, to get the best out of creative people, you take them at their own pace and you don’t burn them out. You remain sensitive to how much they can take.

These days, I work with people who understand what makes me tick, but it still rankles that some don’t.



- Elegantly wasted. -

19 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Often people who are too lazy to use their intelligence are creative."

I beg to disagree. Haha. It pains me how I never got any creative talent. Maybe I was dozing off when God was like being generous and gave off all the creative juices that He can give.

My friends used to say I'm wasting my smart-ness by lazing off the whole day. They said if they were as smart as I am, they'd be studying like mad. LOL.

Of course, they were lying.

With the "lazing off the whole day" part. I also use the computer.

HAHAHA. JOKE. KILL ME.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Jigs said...

"elegantly wasted" - I love this!

I agree that creative people should be dealt with in their own pace. Creativity isnt something that happens overnight. Enjoyed reading your rants! :)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Y'see, to get the best out of creative people, you take them at their own pace and you don’t burn them out. You remain sensitive to how much they can take.

You nailed it right there.

One college subject taught me that there are two types of people: Type A and Type B. The former is more fired up in a demanding environment while the latter is better off when he does things in his own time. Although a Type A can yield to work and a whole load of other things effectively than that of a Type B, Type B's have better personalities. And, generally, are happier.

Just glad I'm one freaking Type B. Lol.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't think it's senseless at all. :)

 
At 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur post's not senseless. actually quite the opposite.ü

good point.ü

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger stardust said...

Well said... yeah link up tyu!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Natasha B. said...

Creativity is so subjective isn't it? One person's 'Picasso' could be another's pieceofsh*t. :P

I guess creativity is just the ability to come up with ideas... But it takes talent and passion to make those 'ideas' reality.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go ahead! :lol: thanks for dropping by.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, you call that a senseless one huh??? Now i dont know what to call my craps! haha..

Nyways, just hoppin back at ya!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Patty said...

...you might be able to enhance, but you can’t change what’s fundamentally there.

True! Oh so true! Hahaha!

I wish I could relate to your entry so I could at least write a presentable comment. LOL.
take care!

:)

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely.. No prob, hope u wont mind if i'll do the same..

Tks..

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger - litol figgy - said...

or sometimes, it's just the ADHD kicking in. :p

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger ASHiE & BoRA said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger ASHiE & BoRA said...

comment wasn't good enough, that is. i always read your posts tho.. quite reminds me of what i've been through ( oh, yeah bite me.. still goin through.. for that matter..

when will you post the lady in the vacant lot? quite long ciggy break naman :(

keep 'em posts coming..

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Lazarus said...

Being around with creative people will spark ones creativity as well.

Not long ago, a friend told me that accounting ruined his creativity. Perhaps, this was also true to me.

just dropping by...

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This isn't a useless post. I agree with a lot of the things that you said. It's really different when someone is not doing the actual thing. It always seems to be easier in theory. Hope you're feeling better now.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'see, to get the best out of creative people, you take them at their own pace and you don’t burn them out.

tama tama talaga.. I can definitely relate! In my experience, I dont get much of my creativeness pag pinipressure ako, minamadali ako. arghh!!

nice post! il be chekin ur blog as often as i can. link you too..

nice blog. =)

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger buuurp said...

hi. nosebleed ako sa post mo. wow. nice nice nice.

its hard to find a place where people would understand you... so don't waste your energy fuming on those who dont. :)

la dolce vita :)

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger apoljuice said...

do i also have to quote? anyway, that post hits the spot. I'm not one to plan anything.. I make everything up as I go along.

And I have a short attention span too.. not to mention, a very short memory. which comes in really unhandy when i need to do something important but then forget until my brain decides to remind me on it s own accord.

Imagine... my brain with it's own brain. how disturbing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home